Split ends are caused when hair is damaged, either by harsh shampoos, too much direct from the sun or a hair dryer, perming or bleaching or very often simply because the tips of hair are very old.
The only cure for split ends is to have them trimmed off; if left, they may split further up the hair, making it look dull and lifeless.
HEALTHY HAIR: In top condition, the scaly outer shell, or cuticle, of each hair lies flat and smooth along the whole length of the shaft.
Split End Treatments:
- Mix 1 tsp honey with 2 Tbsp olive oil, then beat in 1 egg yolk. Massage on hair in small sections. Wrap head with shower cap for 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo.
- Massage hair and scalp with warm avocado or olive oil. Wrap hair securely in a towel. Leave oil on hair about 8 hours or overnight. If left on overnight, put a shower cap over head to avoid staining pillows and bedding. Wash hair, then rinse with a vinegar /water solution.
- Hot Oil Treatment
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup boiling water
Place olive oil and boiling water into large glass bottle or jar with a lid. You may need to wrap a towel around the bottle to avoid burning yourself. Shake very well until oil is emulsified. Massage into hair, taking care not to burn your head. Put a shower cap or plastic bag over your hair and wrap your head in a hot towel that has been soaked in hot water then wrung out. Leave mixture on your hair for 1/2 hour, then shampoo as usual.
Mainly due to hormonal problem, the sebaceous glands tend to become overactive and produce too much sebum.
Tips on managing Greasy hair:-
- Avoid too much brushing of hair because it might further stimulate the oil glands that are already over-active.
- Wash your hair every third or fourth day or even more frequently, depending on individual comfort. A good nourishing liquid shampoo is often the best answer. Its important to use only the best shampoo for oily hair.
- Excessive oiliness if neglected can lead to falling hair. If treated in time it can be prevented.
- Wear your hair in easy-to-manage, well cut style. Light perming can help as it lifts the hair slightly away from the scalp, making it less easy for the sebum to travel up the hair shaft.
VERY -DRY HAIR
May result from hereditary or hormonal problems-or due to a result of damage caused by over-use of heated rollers, hot hair dryers, perms and bleaches.
You can protect your hair:
- By using very mild shampoos and good quality conditioners.
By having them trimmed regularly.
- By going in for once-weekly hot oil treatment. Use warm olive or almond oil and massage it carefully into the scalp and hair.
- Leave the oil on overnight, if possible, by covering the hair with a plastic bath cap and a toweling turban. Wash the oil off the next day by applying diluted shampoo directly to the scalp before applying water.
- Mayonnaise Conditioner
To recondition the hair, shampoo hair with homemade shampoo or a shampoo from the natural foods store. Rinse and towel dry. Apply regular mayonnaise (not salad dressing) to the hair. Massage in. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, shampoo again lightly and rinse with an apple cider vinegar and water solution.
Dandruff is a dry scaly condition of the skin on the scalp and less often, on the face and the torso.
It comes in tow types:-
(A) Pityriasis-capitis- It is the simple kind consisting of white dry flakes falling from the scalp. The result is due the rate at which the scalp sheds its dry skin cells, which in turn depends on the health and diet of the individual stress, too seems to be related.
Can be controlled by:-
(i) Paying more attention to health hygiene.
(ii) Consuming more fresh fruits in your diet.
(iii) Drinking plenty of water.
(iv) Rinsing the hair carefully after shampoo.
(v) Brushing gently to rid the hair of trapped cells.
(vi) Lightly massaging the scalp to dislodge the dandruff flakes.
If a simple routine like this does not work, consult a dermatologist on the use of anti-dandruff shampoo, which might slow down the rate at which the cells are shed from the scalp.
(B) Seborrhoeic Dermatitis:- If the scalp is very greasy, an individual might end up with this type of dandruff, which is thick, oily, scaly, crusted and weeping.
This condition almost always needs medical care and attention, but if it is mild you can treat it at home by either using an anti-dandruff shampoo or trying home remedies. The best remedy however is to wash hair regularly with a shampoo containing selenium compound or cool tar extracts. Consult a dermatologist if the problem is severe or persists.
Tips on Managing Dandruff
- Restore the health of the scap by bringing about a positive change in your diet and living habits.
- Light oil massage, can help to dislodge the existing dandruff flakes. Massage the scalp carefully. The fingertips should be used to move, the skin on the scalp in small circulatory motions.
- Keep your scalp very clean. This can be achieved by washing hair twice a week with liquid shampoos.
- Dandruff can be infections. Keep your belongings clean and separate to eliminate the chances of infection. Whenever you wash your hair, soak your hair brushes and combs in hot water containing antiseptic lotion.
Treatment with herbal extracts has been found to be effective. Herbs like heena, amla, lemon, reetha have antiseptic properties and are wonderful cleansers.
- Bring about a positive modification into your lifestyle, to eliminate stress and overcome dietary deficiencies.
Besides the anti-dandruff creams, lotions, oils and shampoos available in the market, there are many simple house hold remedies to fight dandruff described below:
- Mix two tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and six tablespoons of hot water. Dab with cotton into the scalp, parting the hair with a comb apply all over the scalp. Preferably it should be used at bed time. Tie a scarf over the hair to avoid staining the pillow. Next morning wash the hair with shampoo. After the hair is thoroughly cleansed pour over as a last rinse a mixture of three tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and one cup of hot water. Then dry the hair thoroughly. This should be done twice a week for three months.
- Hot oil therapy is another method to cure dandruff. Massage hot oil into the scalp at bedtime. Next morning an hour before bath, rub lemon juice mixed with cosmetic venegar (mix 1:2 ratio) into the scalp. Give the hair a good wash and egg shampoo.
- Give your hair a hot steam bath. Massage hot oil with a hot damp towel and leave it on the head like a turban so that the steam can fight dandruff. You may use two towels for this purpose.
- Here is another beauty tip for your hair. After giving your hair a good wash, boil five teaspoons of dried used tea leaves in lime water and use it as a last rinse after shampoo. This gives the hair a lustrous shine and provides nourishment too.
Watchreatments options for Dandruff:
- Make an infusion of 1 ounce each of fresh or dried rosemary and sage in 2 cups of water. Let steep for 24 hours, then use daily as a hair rinse.
- Boil 5 heaping Tbsp dried thyme in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Pour 1/2 mixture over clean, damp hair. Massage into scalp, do not rinse. Use second half of solution another day.
- Instead of shampooing, massage handfuls of baking soda into the hair and scalp to absorb oil and to loossen dead skin on scalp. Rinse thoroughly, use no other shampoos. While initially the hair may seem dry, after several weeks, dandruff will be gone and hair will be smooth and shiny.
- Mint Rinse
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 handful of fresh mint leaves
Strain and pour into a container. With fingertips, massage solution into the scalp, let dry without rinsing out.
- Use the hot oil treatment recipe given on this page.
- Soothing Herbal Hair Rinse
Combine equal parts of dried rosemary, comfrey, witch hazel leaves and nettles to make about 1/2 cup. Add to 2 cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep overnight. Strain. Shampoo and rinse hair then use herb tea for a final rinse to relieve itchy, flaky scalp.