In 1996 MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) shoes came into existence, proclaimed as a healthy version of the original “anti-shoes”. According to the introduction, these shoes can accelerate recovery after tough workouts and support the treatment of injuries, which make them perfect for everybody. With few exceptions, all sports require some type of footwear depending on kind of motion and stress-level.
Shoes vs. Specific Sport:
- Running: Shoes for sport involving forward long distance running, require relatively little lateral support, they incorporate a great deal of padding underneath the feet to act as shock absorbers. In addition, include a slightly elevated heel (to reduce the transfer of stress to the Achilles tendon) as well as a much larger toe box (to accommodate the forward motion of the foot). It is recommended that you replace running shoes between 350 to 550 miles depending on your running style, body weight, and the surface on which you run.
In the 1970’s sports shoe manufacturers employed experts to conduct research into how humans run. They also investigated the shock effect to the body caused by the collision between the feet and the ground. Their finding helped to develop new, improved sports shoes.
Their research found three types of running styles:
- Neutral: This is where the heel of the runner makes with the ground and the foot travels in a straight line as it moves forward.
- Pronation: This where the heel hits the ground but this time the foot moves to the side as it travels forward. It refers to the inward roll of the foot.
- Supenation: This is where the heel hits the ground and the foot rolls outward
- Walking: A walker’s foot hits heel first and then rolls gradually from heel-to-toe. So, you will need a flexible sole and more bend in the toe than a runner. You should be able to twist and bend the toe area. Keep track of how many miles you have put on your shoes, and replace them every 300 to 600 miles. (If you are wearing very light weight shoes, are overweight, or you are hard on your shoes stay toward the low end on mileage.) To extend the life of your shoes be sure to only wear them only for your walks. Also rotating two pair of shoes will give them time to “bounce back” between walks.
- Sprinting: While you watch someone sprint, it appears that their feet are not touching the ground. Why is that so? When an athlete sprints, they are actually landing on the toes with every stride. There are specific shoes for sprinting, known as spike shoes, or track shoes. Sprinting events, usually take place on the track. The track is made up of special materials. Sprinting shoes are spiked in front so that the ball of the foot can grip the track while running. Since the heels are not used, there is no cushioning in the back of the shoes.
- Outdoor Sports: Sports like mountain climbing or hiking require a pair of high-quality cross trainers. These allow for a wide range of movements. You can run, jump, or move sideways or backwards in them. For this reason, it is always wise to buy a pair of cross trainers. Replace cross-trainers and sport-specific shoes every 60 to 70 hours of activity. This includes only the time you’re actually playing huddles, time-outs, and sitting on the bench between innings don’t count. A cross-training shoe is appropriate for both weight training and low impact activities. Other outdoor sports such as baseball and softball require molded or metal cleats which provide stability and enhanced mobility while playing. The extra grip from the cleats ensure you do not injury yourself slipping in the grass or dirt.
- Indoor sports: Many sports are played indoors. For example, you can play badminton, basketball, volleyball, and even soccer. The court surface is very different from that of the outdoors. Usually, the surface is much more slippery. You are going to need a pair of shoes with very good grip. Without a good grip, you may slip and fall. Also, such sports may require you to move sideways or backwards. Your shoes must provide you with ample protection, especially around the ankle area. Therefore, you often see basketball shoes that semi high cut.
Because of sports shoes becoming the most essential part in sports, it is better for you to find shoes which have the strong durability. It will really be needed for a good sport performance.