How to use a Mask
Masks are fun to use and can help clean pores, absorb oils, and give the skin a radiant glow.
- Wash your face. Always wash face in upward, circular motions. Always do to your neck whatever you do to your face. After washing face, remove residue with a wet cloth and splash thirteen times. Masks work best when they’re applied to clean, dry skin.
- Follow directions. Don’t keep a mask on longer than suggested. Not keeping it on long enough will be a waste of money and time.
- Rinse your face thoroughly with warm water after removing your mask.
- Follow up with your favorite toner or freshener, and then apply your moisturizer or night treatment.
Choosing a face mask:
Those of you with a normal skin, can go for a mask, once a week. For oily skin, two to three times a week is a great way to keep oil and breakouts at bay. If you have dry skin, a hydrating mask once a week can really help, but keep the deep cleansing varieties for once-a-month treatments.
AVOCADO AND HONEY NOURISHING MASK
A good feed for dry, ageing skin.
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 2 teaspoons Greek live yogurt
- 2 drops jasmine or rose essence
Preparation & Application:
Mash the avocado very thoroughly with a fork, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Apply quite thickly to the face and leave on for at least 10 minutes. Wipe off with a dry muslin cloth, then rinse the cloth in warm water to remove the rest of the mask.
After such a rich mask, it is a good idea to refresh your skin with a toner, such as a rosewater toner.
CUCUMBER AND CLAY TONIC
A good tonic for normal-to-oily skin.
- 5 cm (2 in) piece of cucumber
- 4 teaspoons green clay
- 2 teaspoons brewer’s yeast
Mix all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. If a little watery, add another 1-2 teaspoons of clay.
TURMERIC AND EGG FEED
A luxurious facial feed for tired and dry-to-normal skin.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons brewer’s yeast
- 2 teaspoons pollen grains
- 2 dessertspoons jojoba essence rosewater, to blend
Whisk the egg yolk and then add the remaining ingredients. This mask is easy to apply but rather sticky, so sponge off carefully and it will leave your skin beautifully smooth
EGG FIRMING MASK
This mask can take years off your face – for an evening !
- 1 egg white
- 4 -6 teaspoons kelp powder
- 1 drop geranium essence
Lightly whip the egg white until white and bubbly but not stiff. Thoroughly mix in the kelp powder geranium essence. Smooth thinly over the face and wait for it to dry thoroughly before wiping, then rinsing, it off.
FULLER’S EARTH FACIAL MASK
Suitable for all skin types.
- 1 tablespoon Fuller’s Earth.
- 11/2 – 2 tablespoons rosewater (for a medium – to – oily skin) or
- a small quantity of a rich face lotion (for a dry skin)
Mix the ingredients thoroughly then apply with a natural bristle beauty brush. If you are using rosewater, keep the mask moist with thin slices of peeled cucumber. Leave for 10 minutes then remove with warm rosewater. Pat dry with a fine – textured towel.
Additional Homemade Facials
- Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons honey, the juice from 1/2 of a lemon, and 3-tablespoon yoghurt. Stir in 1 whipped egg white. Apply to face and let set about 15 minutes. Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Make a paste from a little oatmeal and water. Apply to face and let it dry. Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Mash half of an avocado and apply to entire face. Let set for about 20 minutes and then wash off.
- Mash 1/2 banana and add 1-tablespoon honey and 2 tablespoons sour cream. Apply to face and let set for about 10 minutes. Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Two tablespoons of cornmeal mixed with enough water to make a thick paste makes a great inexpensive facial mask. Gently apply to face and wash off.
- Soak 1 cup dried apricots in water until softened. Puree in blender or food processor with 2 tablespoons skim milk powder. Apply to face and let set about 15 minutes. Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- In a food processor or blender, combine 1/2 cucumber, 1-tablespoon yoghurt, a few strawberries, and 1-teaspoon honey. Apply to face and let it dry. Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- To loosen blackheads, combine equal parts baking soda and water in your hand and rub gently on your skin for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse with warm water.