8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, extra for the pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, extra for the pan
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and lightly flour a 9-inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- In a large bowl (using an electric mixer, if desired), beat the butter and sugar until combined. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, then the mashed bananas, leaving some chunky banana pieces.
- Fold in the flour mixture just until combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the bread in the pan; carefully remove from the pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Doggy treat: Canine Mini Patties:
1 pound salmon
2 large organic sweet potatoes
1 large egg
½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil the salmon in 2 cups water. When the fillets are cooked through, drain and let them cool. Once they’re cool enough to touch, shred each one with a fork.
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Mash the sweet potatoes together with the shredded salmon.
- Beat the egg and add to the sweet potato and salmon mixture. Add the rolled oats to the mixture, and stir well.
- Finally, make 1-inch patties (they can be a little larger, depending on you pup’s size and appetite!) with the salmon mixture and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven (you can break one patty open to make sure it’s cooked all the way through) and let cool before serving to your pup.